Wow! I can’t believe it’s Friday (TGIF!). It has been a long and stressful week of ear infections and house hunting. And, the laundry is starting to really pile up.
I forgot (or maybe blocked out) how hard moving and house hunting can be. It’s been a while, but then again the last time I moved across the country, we were just newly weds with a small apartment and no furniture.
I think we’ve made some progress, but needless to say, I haven’t had a lot of time to do much baking. I did, however, have time to make these super easy and delicious granola bars. They’ve been great for snacking (and dessert) and I like to think the oats and dried fruit make them a little bit healthy
This recipe is based on a recipe a friend gave me. She would often bring these to get-togethers and I always thought her granola bars were delicious! I’ve changed things a little bit, but that’s the great thing about this recipe. You can add in a variety of ingredients to suit your tastes.
Chocolate Cherry Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup peanut or almond butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 cups oats I used old-fashioned
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup mix-ins optional such as: flaked coconut, chopped dried cherries or cranberries, chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a medium saucepan, melt together the peanut (or almond) butter, honey, and coconut oil.
- Remove from heat, and add remaining ingredients. Stir until combined, and chocolate chips are melted.
- Spread mixture into a 9 x 9 inch or 9 x 13 inch pan (depending on how thick you would like them). Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour. Cut into desired sized pieces and store refrigerated.