A delicious way to sneak vegetables into your kids’ meals.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded, unpeeled, zucchini, gently squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and lightly flour 5 x 9-inch loaf pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. In a large bowl, whisk together sugars, butter, oil, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour batter into pan.
Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Run a thin knife around the cake to loosen from sides of the pan. Invert onto rack and let cool completely. Store cake in an airtight container at room temperature.