The first time I saw this recipe, I knew I had to put it on my to-make list. Well, it was on that list for some time and last weekend I finally decided to get my butt in gear and make it. I have never made potato salad before and was excited to make this recipe since it had a nice cilantro twist. I was a little unsure as to how long I was suppose to boil the potatoes for since it didn’t say in the original recipe….and since I was a potato salad virgin. With a call to my mom I found that 6-7 minutes would do the trick. This was so quick to make that I started and finished this potato salad all while talking to her……or maybe it took a long time to make and I just talk too much.
I served this potato salad with slow cooker barbecue pulled chicken sandwiches and the result was one delicious meal. I enjoyed the original recipe as stated below. However, my husband doesn’t like mustard so I’ll definitely omit it the next time I make this. Whether you include the mustard or not, it will make a great side dish to any meal.
Cilantro Potato Salad
- 1 lb. red potatoes quartered
- 1/3 cup red onion chopped finely
- 1/3 cup celery chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring potatoes to a boil and cook until tender (around 6-7 minutes); drain and let sit until cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the onion,celery, garlic, mayo, mustard and lemon juice. Add in the potatoes and toss to coat. Gently mix in the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill, covered, for 1 hour before serving.