- 3 cups seeded and diced Roma tomatoes (about 1 pound Roma tomatoes)
- 1 – 15-ounce can corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup seeded and diced bell pepper, any color (about 1 medium pepper)
- ¾ cup red onion or shallot, small diced
- 1 – 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro (about ½ bunch fresh cilantro)
- 1 to 2 avocados, sliced (optional)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
In a large bowl, add the diced tomatoes, corn kernels, diced bell pepper, diced red onion, black beans, black-eyed peas, and minced jalapeño. Stir to combine.
Black beans, black-eyed peas, corn, peppers, tomatoes and onions for cowboy caviar
In a small bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, honey, cumin, minced garlic, salt and black pepper. Whisk the dressing ingredients together until well-combined.
Pour the dressing into the large bowl over the veggies. Add the cilantro, and stir to combine. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if needed.
Mixing cowboy caviar in bowl
Cover and chill for at least 1 hour, or overnight to blend flavors.
Serve chilled or at room temperature, with sliced avocado or corn chips, as desired.
If including the avocado, wait to slice until ready to serve, so it does not turn brown in the meant