Sitting can be so boring in a morning. And jogging or walking around can be a good exercise but cooking for a great breakfast can be the best for the heart specially when cooking for you is love, and when you see the a sparkling smile on someone’s face after eating your lovely food you had prepare for them.
So, today I want to share this recipe for you to try for this great morning, the Creole Submarine Sandwich. So, take it, make it and give some healthy heart and a soulfully delicious food not for yourselves but to everyone. Enjoy this recipe!
Why is it called submarine sandwich?
The name “submarine sandwich” is believed to have originated from an Italian immigrant in the early 1900s. While the exact details remain uncertain, it is widely speculated that the name was inspired by a visit to the Patterson Museum, where the immigrant encountered a recovered submarine on display. Captivated by the unique shape and size of the vessel, the immigrant decided to pay homage to it by naming his creation the “submarine sandwich.” This delectable creation quickly gained popularity, particularly among working-class communities in the United States, thanks to its convenient and portable nature. Over time, the term “submarine sandwich” became synonymous with this type of sandwich, which typically consists of a long roll or baguette filled with various meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments. Today, the submarine sandwich, or sub, continues to be enjoyed by people all around the world, and its name serves as a nod to its intriguing historical connection to the underwater vessel that inspired its moniker.
Who invented submarine sandwich?
The invention of the submarine sandwich is often attributed to an Italian shopkeeper named Benedetto Capaldo from New London. He is said to have created a large sandwich, initially known as a “grinder.” The sandwich gained significant recognition when Capaldo started receiving orders for 500 sandwiches a day from the nearby submarine yard to cater to its workers. As a result, the sandwich became intrinsically linked to the submersible vessels being built at the yard, and its name gradually transformed into the “submarine sandwich.” This culinary innovation provided a convenient and satisfying meal option for the workers, as the submarine sandwiches were easy to eat on the go, thanks to their portable nature. Over time, the popularity of the submarine sandwich spread beyond the submarine yard, captivating the taste buds of people in various communities and eventually becoming a beloved staple in many parts of the world. Today, the submarine sandwich holds a prominent place in the culinary landscape, thanks to the ingenuity of Benedetto Capaldo and its enduring association with the submarine industry.
Creole Submarine Sandwich
- 1 large loaf of rusty French bread for about 2 feet long or any size you have there
- 1 piece of large red onion very thinly sliced
- 4 pieces of large Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded lettuce
- 1 lb. of thinly sliced salami
- 1 lb. of thinly sliced smoked ham
- 1 lb. of thinly sliced roast beef
For Creole Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. of grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp. of red pepper
- 4 to 6 drops of hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. of chopped fresh chives
- Prepare the Creole mayonnaise first.
- And then in a small bowl, stir together all ingredients and then take it inside the fridge until your bread is ready.
- With a knife, cut it lengthwise along French bread while splitting it open without slicing all the way through.
- And with your fingers, pull out about a 1 inch depth of bread all along both sides of the loaf.
- Then, slowly spread both sides with the Creole mayonnaise.
- Evenly layer the ham on the bottom half and at the top with tomatoes.
- Then layer salami and top with onion.
- And then, finally layer the beef and top with lettuce.
- After that, close the top and press securely shut.
- And then cut into either 4 or 6 sections depending on how hungry you are. Right after those easy procedures, you can immediately serve the Creole Submarine Sandwich for your family or friends. With this recipe, I’m sure everyone’s will surely agree that it taste good than any sandwiches they ever tasted. So, you guys must say no of trying this and taste the yummy and superbly delightful breakfast you can share for everyone!