If you’re not familiar with grilled hearts of romaine, you’re in for a treat. The added smokiness contrasts with the still-crunchy core and a bite of lime juice. Paired with freshly skewered, spicy pineapple shrimp, this deconstructed salad is a feast to behold.
- 1/4 cup lime juice, plus wedges for garnish
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups of 1 1/2-inch cubes pineapple
- 1 pound jumbo (15-count) shrimp deveined and shelled, tails on
- 2 or 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (strained from a can of chipotle chilies)
- 2 to 4 (depending on size) hearts of romaine
Preheat a grill to medium-high.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, chopped cilantro, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
Using 4 skewers, skewer the shrimp and pineapple, alternating pieces. Brush the skewered shrimp and pineapple pieces with the adobo sauce.
Slice the romaine hearts in half, lengthwise. Trim the top leaves if necessary. Brush the lime vinaigrette lightly over all sides of the cut pieces.
Place the skewers on the grill and cook turning as needed, until the shrimp have just become pink and opaque about 4 to 6 minutes total.
Meanwhile, grill the romaine halves, turning as they become slightly charred on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes total.
Serve the skewers and romaine garnished with a drizzle of the vinaigrette, wedges of lime, and cilantro leaves.