Mexican casserole is a tasty and comforting Mexican dish. This easy to make and delicious casserole can be served as a main dish or as a side dish. There are various versions of this Mexican casserole and they all use some combination of beef and cheese. The Mexican Casserole is usually served with some tortilla chips and guacamole.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef drained or rinsed!
- ½ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup canned jalapeno slices chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes chopped or 1 (15 ounces) can diced canned tomatoes
- 1 15 ounces can kernel corn (drained)
- 1 15 ounces can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 1¼ ounce package taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup nonfat sour cream
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend shredded
- ⅓ bunch fresh cilantro chopped, to taste (or less (or more)
- Brown ground beef and chopped onions in large skillet; brown 10 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring constantly.
- Drain well and rinse with warm water to remove all fat; return beef/onions to skillet.
- Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, chilies/jalapenos, and taco seasoning mix; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray 12×8-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each tortilla in half; place 8 halves in the bottom of the sprayed baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- Spoon half of the beef mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon sour cream over beef mixture; spread evenly. Top with the remaining 8 tortilla halves and the remaining beef mixture. (Cover tightly with foil & Freeze for later OR cook as directed below…).
- (Thaw overnight if frozen) Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh chopped lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, black olives, etc… /.