Crushed corn chips in the crust give this dinner pie extra flavor and crunch. For variety, experiment with white, yellow, and even blue corn chips in the pastry and on top.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- 1/2 cup finely crushed corn chips
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- one 16-ounce can tomatoes, cut up (undrained)
- one 4-ounce can diced green chiles, drained
- one 4-ounce package cream cheese, cubed
- one 8-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely crushed corn chips
- Companion recipe: Basic Pie Pastry
FOR PIE: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare pastry as directed, except stir in 1/2 cup crushed corn chips and, if desired, the crushed red pepper with the flour and salt. Roll out and line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry. Trim and crimp the edge of pastry.
In a 10-inch skillet cook beef, onion, and garlic till meat are brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in chili powder, salt, and cumin. Stir in undrained tomatoes, chili peppers, cream cheese, and kidney beans. Stir until cheese melts. Stir about 1 cup of the meat mixture into egg. Return all to skillet and mix well. Transfer filling to pie shell. To prevent over-browning, cover the edge of pie with foil. Bake 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake until the crust is golden. Let stand 10 minutes.
FOR GARNISH: Top pie with lettuce, cheese, tomato, sour cream and 1/4 cup corn chips.
Nutrition information per serving
425 calories; 25g total fat; 74mg cholesterol; 406mg sodium; 29g carbohydrates; 4g fiber; 21g protein