Want an easy stuffing recipe that can be made ahead of time and takes just a few minutes? Try my delicious Easy Sage and Onion Stuffing Balls recipe that has been in my family for decades!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Serves 12 balls
Calories 64 kcal
- 1 large red or white onion (or two smaller ones) finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g white breadcrumbs (see note)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg beaten together with a fork
Preheat your oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F and grease a tin big enough to hold all the stuffing balls – I usually use a small roasting tin.
Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil into a saucepan. Add the diced onion and put the lid on. Cook over a low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft but not brown.
Meanwhile grate the bread for the breadcrumbs and place in a large bowl. (see note)
When the onions are ready, tip into the bread crumbs. Add the herbs, salt and pepper and stir thoroughly.
Allow the mixture to cool slightly and then add the beaten egg and stir together. Divide the mixture into 12 and shape into balls. Place in your greased tin and cook for 30 minutes or until they are golden brown and cooked through.
(1) To make white breadcrumbs, just by an ordinary white loaf, cut into thick slices and grate on the large holes of a cheese grater. It takes less than 5 minutes to get enough breadcrumbs for this recipe.
(2) If your oven is set at 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F when you want to cook these stuffing balls, don’t worry, they will still cook happily at this temperature, but you will need to cook them for about 40 minutes.
Suitable for freezing.
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.