- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/2 c butter (no substitutions!), softened
- 4 c powdered sugar
- 1 c honey
- 2 loaves frozen bread dough, or make your own favorite yeast roll recipe
1. If using frozen bread dough, thaw according to package directions. Cut each loaf into 12 pieces. If using your own dough recipe, divide it into 24 pieces. Lightly butter (2) 9×13 baking dishes. with lightly floured hands, roll dough into “rope” shape, then coil into “snail” shape roll and place in the prepared baking pan. Repeat with each piece of dough, placing 12 rolls into each pan. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick pan coating spray. Let rise in a warm place until rolls have doubled in size.
2. While the rolls are rising, prepare the honey batter. In a glass or stainless steel bowl that is completely clean and residue-free, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gradually add powdered sugar until all is incorporated. Blend in the softened butter until well combined, then blend in the honey. Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and space the racks evenly.
3. When the rolls have fully risen, place a very generous dollop of batter on every roll, making sure that each one is covered well. Place the pands in the preheated oven and bake for 45 – 50 minutes until the tops are golden brown and the rolls are cooked through. Allow the rolls to cool slightly and serve warm. When serving use a good spatula that will go all the way under the roll and the gooey honey goodness that is underneath.