This awesome banana bread recipe comes from my lovely mother. I grew up eating loaves of this bread and I simply adore it. I have made this recipe countless times and it has never failed me. However, I was looking for a new go-to banana bread recipe simply because I love trying new recipes. So, over the past few weeks I have made a few different banana bread recipes (cinnamon swirl banana bread, almond vanilla banana bread, etc) hoping to find a new banana bread recipe to add to my collection. Well, each one was just a bigger disappointment than the last. They rose about two inches. Two. Inches. I guess that’s what I get for throwing a great recipe aside to try a new one.
My mom’s banana bread recipe is moist, flavorful, and rises like no other banana bread I have ever seen. This is my go-to banana bread recipe and I’m not looking back. I did tweak the recipe a touch just to give it a bit more flavor (gotta love vanilla extract). Also, chocolate chips or walnuts would make a great addition to this banana bread so throw those in if you like. I personally LOVE chocolate chips in my banana bread!
Everyone has their favorite banana bread recipe, this is mine……
Mom's Banana Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2.5 – 3 ripe bananas mashed well
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar together. Stir in bananas and vanilla extract . Beat in eggs, one at a time until well-incorporated. Stir in salt, baking soda, and flour.
- Pour batter in a well buttered bread pan. Bake at 350°F 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.