What better way to start the week than with these Gluten Free Apple Walnut Donuts? They are so moist and delicious. These donuts come with a warning! You won’t be able to just have one.
These Gluten Free Apple Walnut Donuts have great texture and just the perfect amount of sweetness. They puff up perfectly in the oven thanks to Red Star Yeast Quick Rise Yeast. The walnuts give them a deep nutty flavor. My favorite part are the apples! They get so tender and moist. There is a small piece of apple in every bite and it’s pure heaven.
Fall could not get any better! Baking donuts is simply the best. There is no frying involved. Making them not only healthier but eliminating the fussy mess that is involved with frying. If you have never tried baked donuts I highly suggest these. They are so easy and you won’t miss the grease!
To really spice up these fall donuts as soon as they are out of the oven be sure to brush them with melted butter and sprinkle on the cinnamon sugar mixture. This adds even more moisture and the most amazing sweet crispy topping.
Gluten Free Apple Walnut Baked Donuts
- 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Red Star Yeast Quick Rise Yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger ground
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 apple peeled and diced into very small pieces
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven 425*. Grease a donut pan with melted butter or cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, yeast, baking powder, salt, apple pie spice and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together melted butter, apple sauce and sugar.
- Once combine add in eggs and mix until combine.
- Whisk in milk until combine.
- Slowly stir in the flour mixture to the wet mixture until just combine, do not over mix.
- Using a spatula fold in apples and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a large piping bag or zip-lock bag and set on top of warm stove for 15-20 minutes to rise slightly.
- Snip corner of the piping bag and pipe batter into the donut pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 8-9 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Melt topping butter and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine topping cinnamon, sugar and pinch of salt.
- Brush donuts with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Best eaten same day made.